Wednesday, September 13, 2006


A Nice Little Surprise


My knitting pal Gail sent this photo over the other day - I laughed out loud when I saw it! I met her little cat Evie one Saturday when we decided to have a spinning session at Gail's house. Apparently Evie is very shy & hides when people come over. But, I guess I smelled right & she made herself at home in my lap for most of the afternoon . . . . . Evie has good taste - this is one of Gail's felted bags!


Speaking of photos - Kathy sent over a couple of photos of her 'Fishing Socks' on the feet of her Fisherman!!
And the start of her current socks - I meant to get them posted but my Mail program crashed, taking with it all my addresses, saved documents & scads of unread mail!! Managed to fix the problem - it kept telling me I had 4000+ unread emails!! Not even I can get that far behind!! Sooooooooooo TADA!! Kathy's socks . . . This is the current sock in progress. She's actually turning the heels on these right now & I think she said these ones are for her daughter.

As for me - well, I'm trying to finish the current sock but other things keep getting in the way . . . like cold breezes & drafts! I keep thinking about finishing one of those damned sweaters in time for the fall weather - which seems to have arrived TODAY!! So, I've been knitting a lot of squares. I have a whole lot of unspun dyed batts in the basket as well as spun dye exeperiment yarn in balls. So, I've been knitting 8" dishcloth squares in handspun. I like the diagonal dishcloth pattern. Its simple yet elegant in its own way & the diagonals show off the color changes in the handspun. Not sure whether these will end up in an afghan or a sweater but they are on my mind, in my hands & on the needles these days. Maybe its like that finger itch you get in the early spring when you just have to go out & dig in the earth & plant seeds. Turning leaves give me that finger itch that means I have to knit something large & warm for the winter!

2 comments:

Jane Prater said...

Love the blog. Connect with so many of your comments, especially the urge that sent you to knitting the squares. Now about those skewers that become needles. Have you tried cutting them to a shorter size and creating the point with a small pencil sharpener-or eyeliner sharpener, Also rubbing with wax paper is supposed to help wooden needles. Thanks for your comments on my blog.

Sharon in Surrey said...

I DID try cutting those skewers shorter but found I liked the longer length! And I sanded them because I didn't have a pencil sharpener handy . . the greasy fleece worked better than waxed paper in my opinion too. They now have a lovely patina from the constant handling - I think they've had a sock on them since the day I finised them!!