Monday, December 17, 2018

Counting Down in Darkness


I'm constantly amazed at how fast the time goes by when you're doing nothing in these dark, dreary, soggy days at the bottom of the year. You'd think all this darkness would  d-r-a-g out the actual day, if anything. But the darkness will start to recede on Solstice (Friday) when the days begin to get longer!!
This is the time of year when I especially miss the wood burning stove, the cats asleep under it, the recliners beside it & the dogs laying underfoot. I always had a tin of sweet spices simmering on top of the stove & the knitting needles in my hands. Now I just have the computer, a basement suite & a bottle of good scotch. And knitting needles of course!


On The Needles - not Lara's Pabaigh, that's for sure!! I put the pattern back in the binder & cast-on a simple, top down, raglan, in the Denim, Briggs & Little, Heritage yarn. It will have cap sleeves, a crew neck & a detachable cowl - when I figure out how to attach it, dunno whether it should be buttoned or laced or what. Yet. It might be attached. Who knows?? I have to get the damned vest finished because she needs to be wearing it NOW.

Finished re-knitting all my bad toes. I even made them a little longer while I was at it. Since I have trouble putting shoes & socks on the leg with the bad knee, I've put my finger through at least two of the older socks by tugging them. More repairs!! So, I'm figuring some of the toe damage is from pulling them on & getting them into a shoe. I may end up as one of the Socks & Sandals Set  yet because they're so much easier to put on.

I still have THREE sweaters on the go for me. One is light - I spun two small Alberta Shetland fleeces into wooly singles yarns & then knit them together. I wanted a rustic knit, not the smooth, store bought look .  .  .  and I've just about worn out the yarn knitting the sweater I think I want. It's half done, marinating, on the office wall where I can see it every day. I seriously think I've got what I want & intend on finishing it soon. Before I die. Or before the mice get it.

Sweater TWO & THREE are heavier & made with yarn somewhere between worsted & Aran in weight because I want to use them like a coat. The dark Plum with some red & navy in it is Briggs & Little Heritage. The other, a dark Navy, is from Custom Woolen Mills in Alberta. Both are knit Top Down using the Cabin Fever book, "Need a Plus Cardigan?"to get some shaping.
Cabin Fever shows some neat ways to make an upper sleeve narrower or wider without affecting the body & a little trick to add extra bust room without short rows. And I've always needed extra bust room!! Although, these days, I may be needing more belly room than bust.

I still use a simple fleece jacket in the winter since I spend most of my outside time dashing from car to house or house to garbage can! And I never liked to drive with a bulky jacket. When I used to sit outside at Starbucks all winter, I had a huge fleece ET jacket that kept me warm. But it's gone to a new home & I don't sit outside in the winter any more!!! I do notice the cold more & more as I age though, so a heavier knit is necessary. Hopefully, I'll have one before Spring.


I fell down the Rabbit Hole & made a last, before Christmas, sock yarn order  - just a few little goodies I thought I couldn't live without. And a small kit I've been eye-balling all year!!! I really shouldn't shop after 3:00AM  .  .  .  . 

3 comments:

Louisa said...

You definitely get what you want if you buy your own Christmas presents! All the best of everything, Sharon!

Sue said...

I like the way you describe winter dark - dreary, soggy days at the bottom of the year. Season's Greetings to you.

The socklady said...

Merry Christmas

Dark and dreary here as well but with an arctic front moving it around Thursday, -20° predicted. If this comes to pass at least sun will come out, my house is passive solar heated so welcome the sun.