Monday, May 19, 2008

Spring has Finally Sprung


My Clematis is trying very hard to make up for lost time. Since the weather's been so cold, it hasn't put on the early spring show of flashy flowers it normally does but as you can see, the big, fat, furry buds are just bursting out all over!! The bud in the middle is an inch & a half long . . . .
Now, if the weather stays warm, it should look like the picture on the left which is from last year!


I've been trying to learn the Twisted German Cast-On. I've watched the movies on YouTube. I've watched several animated examples. Do you think I can do it?? NO! I'm missing something in the translation & my attempt is NOT working. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. And I'm frustrated. I decided I want a stretchier top on my socks - especially those I'm knitting for the BT's dad who's a diabetic. Since his ankles sometimes swell, he needs a little more room - just in case. And I can't figure out how to do this technique!! I suppose I'll have to dig out the Queen's Crazy Heels & Toes book & see if SHE has a stretchier cast-on.

Haven't started any socks this week but I did finish the Gluttony socks - my way. I tried my best to overlap & alternate the colors for a couple of inches so they flowed a little better. I really like the result & I learned about sock yarn that I'd never have used. I think there's just enough left-overs to knit a pair of newborn socks for the Afghan project too. I really enjoyed getting the first Deadly Sins package - I can't wait for the second one which is already in the mail!!!


I offered to knit the Baby Surprise Sweater last week. It's in the Kauni yarn now carried by my LYS, Knitopia, in Langley. The yarn comes in 150 gm balls which are varregated & it's not easy to tell what colors are hidden in the ball!! Since I knit from the centre, I started off with yellow which gradually turned to green - I have no idea what other colors are in there but the outer most color is a rich burnt sienna. I guess the adventure is in the knitting!! LOL The Baby Surprise Sweater is an easy knit as long as you keep track of where you are. I'm knitting this one on 3.75mm or US 5 circs to get the gauge of 6 stitches to the inch. And, I'm using my Denise needles again. I love the Denise needles!! I love the way I can just pop off the end, attach another piece of cable & pop the end back on. My hands appreciate the lightness of them too.

Still working on my Danish Working Shawl. I thought I'd use up ALL the splotchy dyed yarn & make it a bit bigger so I have one ball & a bit left to go. I figure I might as well use all the yarn since I'll never be able to match the dye job again! If I get the time to knit this week, I may even finish it off.
And then, I have plans to finish my Arvik sweater at last. Poor Arvik. It's been pulled apart at least twice but I do believe I've figured out exactly what I want this time. It's still TOP DOWN using the Legal Loopholes shaping for the raglans but I want to curve the front neck around more like a crew neck than drop it straight down from the LL Henley type shaping. I'm too big in the bust for the straight drop & the sweater always works its way to the outside rather than hang with a more closed look. This only emphasizes my already large bust!!
Did I mention that I bought La
dybug buttons for it?? I thought the red bug buttons would look great on the shades-of-grey sweater & aren't they FUN????

No comments: