Saturday, March 10, 2018

Down the Hole Again

Leftovers Bag
I don't know how it is in your house but sock yarn is a staple in mine. Yeah, I would say it has actually become the equivalent of a Food Group over the years. One of the Essential Food Groups. There's always sock yarn in this house even when I'm out of bread. Not only do I have new balls of plain & patterned yarn but I have sock yarn leftovers grouped in three main color groups - Reds, Blues & Purple/Pinks in a box & three bags!! Seems that nowadays, most people love the leftover, scrappy socks a whole lot better than plain ones. Good thing. Because I've made a lot of socks since I left my husband 17 years ago .   .   . 

A couple of years ago - I can't remember exactly now - I decided NOT to BUY any more SOCK YARN. None. I decided I would knit up all the left-overs until they were all used up. That was okay for a while until I ran out of plain colors for heels & toes. Socks that are made up of all kinds of patterned yarns really, really need plain toes at least. What's more fun that a pair of blue patterned socks with shocking pink toes??? The kids I know fought over them! So I bought a half dozen balls of neon pink, yellow, green, turquoise & red yarn for toes. But basically, I've made nothing but scrap socks for the last year & a half.

Of course there's the yarn I traded for or was given for my birthday which doesn't count toward's stash, it's personal. My friends know I love Kroy for my winter socks & even a pair or two of mitts & I will donate the scraps to the box, if there are any. And last fall I fell off the wagon & bought 6 balls of Knit Picks Felici sock yarn in Goth Kitty for me!! It's a delicious blend of plum, pinks & greys. Just my colors!! I love hot pink with grey & black!!! Or plum & green together - like pansies & violets!
And then along comes Gail, the Enabler, with her big sale on sock yarn at dirt cheap prices & offer to share the shipping cost .   .    .    .    I fell down the hole & bought another 20 balls. They won't have to embalm me when I die, they can just stuff sock yarn into all my orifices & wrap me into a giant ball.

No comments: