Saturday, February 16, 2019

I must be getting really old but I decided to stay home & let others enjoy the snow this year!! I didn't even go out to empty the GREEN recycling container. I had almost 9.5 inches of snow on my car hood by Monday evening & I decided I didn't really want to plow through the snowy side yard to dump a bucket. The landlord's kid shoveled my patio & a path to my car for me Monday morning but you could barely see it by Monday night. No one in my alley got out on Monday. After dark, the guy at the end of the alley snuck in his tandem tractor & made a path in & out which helped a couple of neighbors but mostly everyone stayed home & dug out drives on Tuesday. I think we were all waiting for the garbage trucks to come & mow down the snow but no one came. By Thursday some people were able to get out & today it rained all day dissolving some of it, washing some off the car & leaving huge puddles where drains might be .   .   .   .   

I don't shovel any more. My hands & wrists hurt too much to shovel so I gave my big shovel to the landlord's kid. He's 15 & healthy enough to keep his mom's drive & mine clean!!! And there's no place I have to go where I have to drive in the snow even though I have winter tires on. I don't worry much about getting out but more about getting back in since I have to back in over a hump & up a slope.
There's enough food in my cupboards to feed me for a couple of months since I still buy in bulk so I don't NEED anything except fresh milk, fruit & some veggies. Today I made a big pot of chicken & turkey soup - I found legs & a big thigh in the freezer! I peeled a butternut squash getting soft & tossed in celery, baby spuds, garlic & onions after browning the meat & let the whole thing simmer on very low for several hours. It was soooooo good. Perfect snowy day food. Since the rain has washed my car almost clean, I'll be heading out tomorrow to Hen Long to buy roast pork, sausages, fried bananas, egg tarts, baby bok choy, broccoli, dried noodles, fish balls, fish sauce, cherry tomatoes & fruit.

Yes, I do a lot of my shopping at the Chinese grocery store! They have the freshest fruits & veggies. And absolutely the best roast & BBQ pork. Milk is expensive but everything else is less than half the Safeway price.

On the needles - I am fixing the last pair of socks that I put my finger through trying to pull them on my right foot when my knee wouldn't bend. What a pain in the butt. A lot of them are old socks so I am thinking of making new ones - most of the old ones are more than 10 years old with partially felted feet & thinning everywhere else so I'm not losing much.
While rooting through my sock yarn bins - I had to buy another one & organize a little - I found I could knit myself another two dozen socks easily & still have yarn left over .  .  .  .   And while rooting around, I found several balls of Cascade Wool in neon colors.  There's not enough to make a sweater & I was warned that the stuff felts like crazy but it should be great for slippers & hats. Did I mention that I now freeze rather quickly with my new crew cut???? A hat is next on the list of things I need NOW.
By the way, to all you Sock Knitters out there - Yarn Canada is having a sale on sock yarns. There's Arne & Carlos, several OPAL lines, some Patons and a couple of others that I've forgotten already. I will admit I slipped & fell & bought a couple of OPAL Rainforest colorways .   .   .   .

3 comments:

Sue said...

It's nice to be able to stay at home safe and warm when the snow is deep outside.

Sharon in Surrey said...

Ahhh yes. I can because I'm now an official Old Age Pensioner!! Thank Gawd. No more commuting beside all those goofs with bald summer tires who are texting on their cell phones as they slide through intersections. No more fear of people who don't know how to drive in a foot of slush. There's nothing quite like commuting from a Surrey subdivision with only one way in & out in the snow that never gets plowed!

Leigh said...

One good thing about snow and cold weather is that it provides plenty of time for indoor projects! We've had very little snow and cold so far this winter, which make me feel obligated to keep up with the garden and other outdoor projects. I'm not getting as much handwork done as I had hoped.