Monday, February 11, 2019

Snow for Valentines Day

It seems we get winter in February nowadays. Usually just in time for Valentine's Day. And it  looks like this year won't be an exception. I remember working in West Vancouver years ago & spending 7 hours getting home to a new husband over 2 bridges & a freeway in the days BEFORE cell phones. There was no way to call for help or let anyone at home know what was going on. You just geared down & kept moving around all the abandoned cars. If they didn't close the bridges before you got there, you usually got home or shared a hotel room with several other stranded people. Luckily I don't have to travel to & from work when it snows anymore & get to watch it from my home office windows. I was actually on the phone to friends Sunday afternoon when it started to snow like crazy & we all opted to stay home instead of meeting for coffee. Even a couple of inches can close down the Vancouver burbs in a hurry & I'll bet we have between 4 & 6 inches out there as I type. Good thing I went out on Friday & picked up bread, TP & a latte. Should be some fun in the morning!!!

I haven't been too ambitious lately, I've barely knit anything, nor sewed a thing although I have been working on a top-down raglan garter sweater in Briggs & Little 'Hertiage'. It's just a simple top-down that will be garter to the top of the arm & then plain knit when I close the deep V front. Haven't decided to put sleeves on it or leave it as a simple Cap sleeve vest. It's for my niece who spends a lot of time shoveling on her hobby farm & must dress in layers. I'm thinking it may be more useful as a vest that she can wear under a jacket or over a long sleeve shirt when she's doing chores. Sometimes it's all you need to keep you warm when you're working hard. I thought about making myself one for the winter but most of my shirts are short sleeved. But, who knows, I may yet finish one for myself - maybe it's just the sleeves that keep me from finishing anything. Then I can go back to Paleontology. And spinning. And making good bread & tasty soups.

First up - I need to make myself a touque - got my hair all cut off again because of the eczema in my scalp - and my head is freezing!! Not a good time of the year to have hair a half inch long! haha  And I have the sweater in handspun to finish although I've just about finished - still have a ball or two left - that giant triangular blanket I knit in all those odd fall colored balls. It's huge & I wish I'd made a rectangular blanket instead!!! I've been spending too much time lost on YouTube watching the Fat Ladies Cook & The Time Team dig up Britain to finish anything. Time, I guess, to get my TV back in order so I have a comfortable place to sit & knit.


1 comment:

Leigh said...

Winter is no fun whenever it comes! And, oh my, what a horrible time to have eczema on your scalp. Here's hoping for warmer, healthier days ahead. (With lots of project time!)