Monday, July 07, 2008

So it's July already

I'm not sure what I've been doing lately but the time sure has slipped away. I remember my Grandmother talking about how time speeds up as you age. I thought she was nuts at the time! I guess I've joined the nutty generation.

But, I have been knitting. My Ginny sweater in recycled purple yarn is almost finished. I've got a little piece of one sleeve to do. And then I have to figure out what kind of edging I'm going to do - maybe just a couple of rows of single crochet??? I wonder how it would look to edge it in dark plum on a light purple sweater??? Hmmmmm?? Remember, I'm no photographer & the purple is actually darker while the light pink is actually a lavender color!


Arvik - the handspun shetland wool - is down past the armholes & into the body! I'm edging it with seed stitch instead of garter or ribbing - I'm soooooo tired of ribbing!! Isn't it neat the way the natural colors of the fleece make a nice stripey effect??? Not sure if I'll put on pockets yet - they only bag & sag anyway, so maybe it's not a good idea. I intend to finish off the bottom in seed stitch as well as the cuffs too. Or the arm banding. Depends on whether this sweater gets long sleeves or three quarter sleeves. Still haven't decided. This is my very FIRST handspun sweater! The girls sure were mad at me when I frogged it the first time . . . . . I promised to keep this one intact so I have something for Show & Tell at the Fall Retreat!

I couldn't help it but there's another pair of socks on the needles! These are in a Garn Studio yarn that's kind of stiff & scratchy but I'm hoping that's just the sizing they put in it when they spin it. I'm up to the heel shaping at the moment. There are times when you really NEED a smaller project to pack around with you . . .


Got out the Indian Spinner & have been spinning early in the morning when it's cool. I sit outside & spin while watching the squirrels run across the wires & down the fences with peanuts in their mouths. I found a whole Hershey bar buried in my hanging basket of succulents one day! The squirrel got to it off the stairs & kicked out some of the succulents to make room for the candy bar. I'm not sure what that damned squirrel thought it would do with a candy bar, but like a dog with a fresh bone, it buried it. This is certainly the weather to hang freshly washed & dyed skeins outside to dry. I got the itch to dye something but I have to spin the wool first. Mmmmm - now that I think about it, I could dye some of those Brown Sheep mill ends & then spin them . . . . . I wonder how that 'egg' shaped lump would come out????

No comments: