Wednesday, July 23, 2008


Paper, Paper, Everywhere!!!


So, I've spent the last three days on the computer from early morning to suppertime. Nope, not playing the latest game but doing data entry for a company that digs big holes with big toys. The boys are not good at paperwork so I got them to stuff it in a big box & I got to sort it into years while I watched the Home & Garden channel . . . . . Now I get to throw it on the computer. There are some compensations though - I've been listening to several of Ben Bova's novels. He slams the world into the Greenhouse Cliff - his version of the Greenhouse effect gone into overdrive that causes a sudden catastrophic meltdown of ice caps, a huge rise in sea levels, the drowning of all coastal cities, a total change of weather patterns & a massive shifting of the ocean currents. A whole series of books spin off with the development of the settlements on the Moon, mining of the Asteroids & exploration of the other planets. I like the multiple voices that act out the books too. I suppose if you have to beat on the keyboard all day, every day, you might as well have some good entertainment!! I started out with The Empire Builders & went on to the Asteroid Wars series. I highly recommend these books if you like realistic SciFi.

I have done some knitting in the evenings too. I finished the turquoise Garn Studio socks for the BT's mom!! I like them. This yarn is a little thicker than some of the other yarns I've used but I like the feel of it & made them a little longer than I normally do for her so they'll make good winter socks. She normally prefers short socks but I've convinced her to have so longer ones for those days when its really cold outside.

I decided to knit a couple of pairs of short socks for myself to wear in my sneakers - I have some in cotton but my darned feet get wet!! So, I hauled out a ball of OPAL i
n wild colors. I figure I'll get a couple pairs out of one ball. Don't you just love those little Teddy Bear stitch markers???? Handcrafted by none other than Karen, our friendly spinner/knitter/quilter. Not quite finished my Opals but I am down to the toe shaping. I'll have these ones off the needles tonite since it's Wednesday Nite Knitting tonite!!

Arvik has been on hold during the heat wave. It's been too hot to have a wool sweater draped across my knees while I knit!! It's bad enough knitting in the heat but to have half a sweater covering you is just too much!!!

No comments: