Monday, November 17, 2008

It's a looooong way from last Tuesday



I just don't know where the time goes. I spent two days this past week at the hospital doing ordinary life skill things with my BT. He had another stroke last Saturday after I left which knocked the stuffing out of him & slowed his therapy down to a crawl for the first part of the week so he's feeling a little peeved/bored/angry/disappointed with his own body. Aries people want everything yesterday. We want immediate action. We want it All & we want it Now. We don't deal well with disappointment & failure. Some of us learn to cope with it somewhat as we age & some of us, well, we break things, we frog things, we start new things . . . . you get my drift. Aries deals very well with all seven plagues. Unless they're our own, of course.

So, I picked him up in the van & took him away. We got a haircut. We went for tea at Starbucks & we ate Sushi for lunch. We discovered a lot of ramps are just there for show! They aren't actually built for wheelchairs unless someone drags you up them backwards over the little curb. We got stuck in the doors that open the wrong way or crash back on you when you're halfway through. We enjoyed the handicap bathroom that no one in a wheelchair can get into without help. We came up with a couple of great ideas for a new business. We figured out how to get that damned wheelchair into the back of a van without killing my back. We even got the old boy back in time for therapy. Mind you, he was so tired by then that he could only walk around the ward twice before he collapsed in bed.
The next day he called
& we did the dirty deed all over again & stayed out even longer!! We met friends at Starbucks - I'm getting much better at getting that chair in & out!! And I watched in horror as he sailed down the ramp, across the parking lot & up the other side to meet a frien
d ON HIS OWN. I had to grit my teeth & turn my back. I had to let him go for it, not watch him struggle to get up the slight incline on the other side & pray a car didn't hit him on the way! He did it & I did it. After all, that's what these trips are for. Normalization. Back to Life. Real World. Kick Ass.


I have two p
airs of socks on the needles at the moment which will be Christmas socks this year. The very last balls of the splotchy blue/white Confetti yarn so beloved by his highness are almost socks. I got this wild Kroy in yellow/orange/red/green that I think will excite the BT's mom at Christmas. It should go quite nicely with all her brown outfits this year & it's nice & thick for winter boots. BUT, is it my imagination or is the Kroy a little nasty to knit with??? I've found it splits like crazy which drives me insane because I have to watch my stitches again!!! Maybe I've just been spoiled by the tighter spun yarns??


I have a couple of nice balls of 'Sock it to Me' from Elann for the BT's dad
in blues & greys to finish next. For a man who would only wear solid, conservative socks in black, brown or navy, he's come a long way!!

I received a surprise gift of Regia
. Gail found this colorway in Calgary last week when she went off to visit her daughter in her new digs. Apparently the daughter had found the yarn shops in anticipation of mom's arrival. Isn't it a great colorway??? I'll bet it knits up very quickly & is on my feet before the Christmas gift socks are finished . . . . .

No comments: