Friday, January 15, 2010

And the Stash Grows Again


Funny how a couple of bags of discount yarn causes a feeding frenzy at a sock knitter's group! My Wednesday group has been deluged with $2 a ball yarn from the annual sale of a local shop which one of our members visits almost daily these days. This year for some strange reason, the shop has managed to snag some very nice yarns and a lot of sock yarn! We've seen bamboo, silk, alpaca & nice merino yarns in the sale. While I've picked up a few balls, my stash was already full to overflowing! I have no interest in silk, cotton or bamboo sock yarns because they have no "memory" & stretch out of shape. I hate shapeless socks!!

I will admit I just had t
o have this yarn! I thought the fuzzy bumps in the yarn were a hoot! But it isn't easy to knit. The bumps are a pain - they get knit into the stitches, they get pulled off & they just get in the way. I am sooooo glad I only picked up two balls of it to make one pair of socks. And, of course, the balls are 50 gms - which includes the weight of the bumps! There's only 133 m in a ball instead of the 210 in other balls of Regia. They'll end up as short summer socks, I guess.


I did get some lovely merino/alpaca in Plum & Hot Pink from the sale for another sweater for myself. I thought it might work for a Kimono from the Knitted Kimono book I bought last spring. This blue one with a lace yoke & plain body I thought might work with two colors. I would've made it in one color but I couldn't get enough of it so . . . I'm hoping it may work.

No comments: