Monday, February 08, 2010

The moving needle knits


I've been in a flurry of sock knitting again. It takes the pain away from unfolding little squares of paper in boxes . . . but the Ex wants some socks. His hear
t medication has slowed his metabolism down so much that he's cold all the time. He used to work outside in a tee shirt & still be warm to the touch! Now he's wearing a down vest even in the summer. Since he loans me money whenever I need it, I'll knit as many socks as he wants!! And, thanks to Gladys, who shops daily at the Dressew yarn sale, I have sock yarn up the wazooo at $2 a ball!

I got some
nice greys & blues for the Ex. Now, he'll wear just about anything if his feet are warm but I got nice yarn which will go with anything so he can brag to his buddies as well. Since I was too lazy to divide the big ball of Regia into two balls before I started to knit, I started two different pairs of socks. One down - in a variegated grey and one in progress. I've made the leg a little shorter & used my 2.5mm bamboo skewers to knit them just a little looser so they have lots of stretch when his ankles swell a little. I always leave sock knitting outside in the car to work on when I'm waiting around but bring them in to turn the heels when I'm watching tv while another goes outside as car knitting. So I ended up starting two pairs of socks at the same time. I think I prefer the darker Regia grey yarn. It seems to be thicker somehow with more of a cushiony feel. It might be the dye but I hope it stays that way when it's washed.


I actually got the new spinner out on the weekend & spun yarn. The new machine - a Majacraft Susie Pro - is brand new this year. It's my first new wheel since I bought the Indian Head spinner in the early 70s when I first learned to spin!! I've spun just about everything on the old wheel from silk to camel but really wanted a wheel that would travel a little better. The Suzie folds in half & has a handle to carry it but Rimu wood is heavy!! Gail, Doris, Karen & I all got together at Gail's house to spin away the day on Saturday. It's been too long since we had one of these get togethers!! I didn't get to spin much because somehow I managed to kink my neck & it looks like I may have a pinched nerve. I'm still having some difficulty turning my head to the right, raising my right arm & bending in that direction. But, it was really nice to spend a whole day spinning & yakking it up with the Girls.

I have another Ho
odie on the needles even though I'm knitting up two pairs of socks at the same time. I found some pink & pink variegated yarn & decided I just HAD to knit a pink hoodie! I have quite a lot of variegated yarn that doesn't really go with much because of the odd colors. But, in the meantime, I'm working my way through the solids I have & trying to make reasonable combinations. I'm not sure it really matters to the kids in the War Zone, but it matters to me.

No comments: