Tuesday, December 19, 2017

Let it Snow!!


Just sitting here in my office taking a Snow Day. It's mighty pretty out there & I'm seriously glad I don't have to go out in it today 'cause it's already starting to accumulate. Another couple of inches should begin to shut the burbs down. I have fond memories of fighting my way home to Surrey across two bridges & down a freeway of abandoned cars from West Vancouver in over a foot of snow when I was first married 30 years ago. It took me 7 hours but I made it home. This was before everyone had a cell so my new husband had no idea of where or in what shape I was. He made sure I had good tires & a working car but I was on my own after that. People just don't understand what to do when it snows in Vancouver since we get it so seldom. Yeah, well, we usually DO get a couple of DAYS of snow most years .  .  .  but it's heavy, sloppy, turns to ice as soon as a person steps on it, never mind a car driving on it. I made it home through the snow mostly because I had studded tires & drove in the fresh snow when I could. I made new paths through snow so I had some traction. I drove on the median, on the gravel & between lanes of abandoned cars. And I stayed in second gear. When I could, I packed the car with extra people for traction, too. These days, I have my snow tires on, gas tank filled up, extra jacket & blanket in the car, folding shovel in the back & don't drive unless I have too. Hahahaha

I wish everything could be as simple as avoiding driving in the snow!! I've been using the same accounting software for eons. Periodically, I upgrade it just because you can't work in DOS forever. So I have multiple copies of the program since 2007, all in my software sleeve. I even have a 2014 upgrade that I just took out of the package!! To my shock & horror, someone new has bought out the company, added some spiffy new features & now RENTS in out by the month. All of my copies, including the new one, are not only redundant, they are no longer supported & I can't even register the last one so it will work. You no longer need to buy the software - that cuts out the pirates - but little businesses like me who only use a couple of the modules have to pay for the whole thing, use the old software until it stops running or find some other software to use. I am pissed. I've got half a year on for an old client & the program will no longer run!! This is partly Windows 10's fault as well!! Can't find a patch so I guess my only option is to start over on an older version . . . . .  grrrrr

I had intended to watch YouTube reruns & knit but I guess that's no longer an option. I really wanted some Goth Kitty fingerless gloves to wear!!! And, believe it or not, I'm actually turning a heel on my Hopscotch socks.


No comments: