Tuesday, August 28, 2018

A Taste of Winter

Brrrrrrr - the weekend was positively freezing in my basement!! I ended up wearing the heavy duty hoodie I bought last winter in my office!! And then pulled out the big soup pot to make a winter batch of soup to warm up!! I was thrilled to run out & sit in my hot car yesterday when I saw the return of all that blue sky. It made me so happy I went off to Mcdonald's to have a chicken wrap & extra large coffee for lunch in my hot car too. I often sit in the corner of the parking lot in the shade & read while I drink my coffee, just to get away from the basement office. Today was not one of those relaxing lunches. Just as I got settled in with my coffee & ebook, the Gardeners arrived with gas powered trimmers & blowers & proceeded to manicure the bushes right next to my car which totally filled it with fumes .  .  .  .

Did I mention my new to me Janome sewing machine??? I've already rooted out all my old sewing patterns & peeped into my bins of fabric. I found three tunic tops all cut out & half finished. But it's the tropical raspberry rayon print fabric that really turns me on! And the 5 yards of equally wild hot pink/blue patterned rip-stop nylon that I bought for shopping bags!! I am seriously thinking of making small produce bags since I have plenty of big bags for heavy duty shopping. It's so exciting!! My poor old spinner will get forgotten again .  .  .

And back on the needles - finished one more pair of short summer socks that look just like the last pair. I used three balls of Knit Picks Felici sock to make two pairs of short socks in my favorite colorway, Goth Kitty. I do love that one!!! These are all mine, mine, mine. They don't disappear into the shoe when worn but show an inch of ribbing & two inches of plain knit above the heel so there's a little wild color showing above a grimy summer sneaker. The next pair - yes, I DO have two more balls of Goth Kitty - will be the standard sock of winter.

Pabaigh for Lara - well, it's still in the bottom of my bag. With Fall rapidly approaching, I'd better get it back on the needles!! It's been so damned hot that I couldn't knit outside on the west facing patio & good old Briggs & Little throws little 'bits' of debris into the air as I knit so I can't knit inside. Gawd, where did my normal lungs go???? So Pabaigh has languished in the bag all summer instead of being made .  .  .  .  But I have been shmoozing on the Starbucks patios with my favorite Techie boys lately - women are gone from their lives once more - so I can work on it while I admire their latest inventions  .   .   .


2 comments:

Louisa said...

What model is your Janome? Hopefully it’s not having bobbin issues.

Sharon in Surrey said...

Apparently it's not having ANY problems at all & just had a servicing before I got it. The lady who owned & loved it got the Retirement Home of her choice, packed up the stuff she wanted/could take & asked family to dispose of the rest. No one wanted it - it's heavy - so it came to me. I have the Janome serger which I love so I thought it would be a great addition. Haven't done anything yet - I have other projects to complete first!!!