Sunday, August 12, 2018

A Cooling Breeze

As everyone knows in the western part of North America, it's been too hot to move. I've pitied those who've had to move, especially those moving house in the Vancouver burbs where there's nowhere but the parks to move to. It was even too hot to breathe there for a while. With my newly acquired bad lungs, I stayed in the shade when I could , in air conditioning - the car is a wonder - when I had to go out & slept away the really bad late afternoons with the oscillating fan blowing on my lightly clad body.
It was even too hot to eat, knit or spin. So, I drank iced coffee & read the whole Anne of Green Gables series of books on my Kobo instead. It was nice sitting outside in the dark, late at night, reading & laughing about Anne's adventures. Megan Followes is the Anne that I remember from the series that ran on CBC & I couldn't help but see her face everywhere. Even though she's now a grandmother, she will always be Anne Shirley to me.

I successfully murdered my mice or it got too hot for them and they left the building. I really think the Rodenticide Pellets soaked in Sockeye salmon juices did the trick in the end. I mean what mouse in it's right mind could ignore SALMON juice??? Really???? Better than peanut butter or cheese!!!
                                                                                                                                                                                                     
Goth Kitty summer socks
The Rescue Fuchsia not only bushed out all over but is now flowering it's little head off. I thought it might be dead when I brought it home & it surely looked dead when I cut it all back before soaking it but it started sprouting within a day. It's now flowering once again & seems very happy at the back of the patio. Amazing what a little water will do for a flowering basket! I just wish I'd taken the other one as well when I had the chance .  .  .  . 

And speaking of rescue, I am now the proud owner of an old  Janome  sewing machine. It was a top-of-the-line machine when it's elderly owner bought it & has a lot of built in decorative as well as stretch stitches. All of the sewing 'feet' are in the machine as well as a zipper & button foot!! My only complaint is that it weighs a ton but that won't matter once I get it up onto my built-in sewing shelf in the bedroom. I already own a Janome serger which I bought back in the 80s when I took Stretch & Sew classes - my gawd, it sounds like a long time ago. But it seems that things were made to last back then - they certainly cost a lot more. But you weren't replacing them every 15 years like you do now! I may even get into some sewing projects this winter!!

Just a final picture of the latest Goth Kitty short socks. I really love this Knit Picks colorway & bought several balls. Most of my wardrobe consists of Pink/Purple with a little Red & Turquoise, it seemed the right combo to wear with almost everything.


1 comment:

Louisa said...

Whoo-hoo! A sewing machine! Can’t wait to see what you make. So glad the weather chilled out for a bit. I was about to internally combust.