Saturday, July 28, 2018

Blazing Patios

I think this has been the hottest summer I can ever remember! Well, there was that summer in the mid 70s when I worked as a Home Support Worker when it was so hot the boss told us to take off the uniforms & wear sundresses & sandals. We had seniors fainting on sidewalks in New West. And I think I spent the whole summer doing laundry in hot, steamy Senior apartment buildings.

Usually, we get two or three weeks in August every year that bakes your socks off but THIS year has been baking since June!! It's been tough on ME especially this year since I'm still having breathing problems. I am better when I stay inside or inside my air-conditioned car during the hottest part  of the day but the cooler evenings after dark are the best. I think I sit outside in the dark reading for a couple of hours. I am soooo glad I bought a Kobo Aura so I can do that!  And don't laugh, I've been reading the Anne of Green Gables series. I think I was 10 when I read it last!! But, I got a Daily Deal notice from Kobo one day for the whole series for $1.99, so I bought it. Sure makes a nice change from British Detectives or Thrillers.

It's too hot to knit. I haven't finished anything. I haven't started anything. I have been washing all my knits & drying them outdoors on the rack on the patio instead. They smell so good when they dry outside, even with the air pollution & the neighbor next door who still burns all her garbage at night! But I am wishing for a good sea breeze move the air a bit!

This weekend Mars is the closest to Earth that it's been since 2003!! Apparently Mars will be the brightest 'star' in the sky this weekend & will be only about 36 million miles away!! And there's that Blood Moon to see as well. You can see it all on 'Night Sky' or 'SkyView' aps.

The local Safeway sure is popular in this heat wave. I've often said how nice it is to go down there & have lunch when you live in an apartment. There's a large seating area - they don't clean it much so bring your own wet ones & napkins - but the deli has added scads of new salads, the store has lots of sandwiches pre-made in the cooler, lots of finger foods ready to go too as well as cut fruit & Starbucks standing by with big, cold drinks! I must be getting really old, but it's a great place to cool off, have a cheap lunch & shop - all at the same time. Especially good if you just want to be cool for a while when the apartment is too hot!!

No comments: