Friday, July 06, 2018

A Mouse Did It

It's been a tough week this week. Even though it's been a short week, it's still been tough. I started off by moving stuff that hasn't been moved in eons only to find my one little mouse has become generations of mice nicely homed in an old fleece in a basket. I suspect they've been coming & going thru the office window which opens onto the back stairs. One damn mouse made a home in my very large Jade plant by burrowing deep under the roots - the plant is so heavy that I don't really move it anymore!! So, I've been waging war on mice with Rat Pellets & Peanut Butter. Oh, how they love the mixture!!

I was moving things to find the bin/s of combed & dyed spinning fibre. Yes, spinning fibre. I now understand that I'll be working a lot longer than I planned & spinning a lot less as a result. I also like to knit & the two don't always go together very well in my world. I seem to have long periods of one or the other .   .   .    so while I have friendly spinners around, I want to sell off some of the stuff I know I'll never get to. I bought way more than I ever needed - it was investment buying!! hahahaha  Trust me, the Passionate Purple, Magenta & tropical Paua are NOT being sold off!! But I have subscription offerings & individual packages which ARE being sold. I very carefully stored them all away in giant Rubber Maid tubs which are NOT labeled or transparent. Stupid me.

I decided I'd rather spin fleeces, which are easier on hands that hurt & yield amounts that can make a vest or sweater. I always liked spinning from the fleece. Probably because that's how I learned to spin back in the 70s! We didn't have dyed, combed anything available to us. We had mostly white fleeces from Australia & local fleeces that almost no one wanted! If you wanted color, you dyed your own! Occasionally, a grey or brown fleece appeared but mostly the only choice was white. I ended up being seduced by all the color available 30 years later!! I love color. But, funny as it sounds, when all is said & done, I prefer lighter greys for spinning because I can wear the yarn on it's own, combine it with colored yarns or over-dye it if I want. I can't wear white at all!

But, I am NOT moving anything today. Today I'm just stiff & sore & recovering from yesterday! Yesterday I had a WCB Audit. What an adventure!! There was only ONE handicap parking spot & not available to me. It was probably the hottest day of the year to be hobbling across a half acre of blacktop parking lot with a heavy bag & a cane. By the time I got to the main door - Reception was at the other end of the building - I had to sit down, take a pee & use my puffer in any order! No bench, no washroom for the public on the main floor at all & a trickling water feature greeted me. By the time I got myself together, used the elevator, found a washroom & located Reception, I was 10 minutes late & listening to my phone ringing in my bag. Thank gawd  the building was air conditioned!!!  The young  man doing my audit was very nice & finished in about 20 minutes!  I told him I was really shocked at how unfriendly WCB is about handicap access. One would think that a place who's Claim to Fame is to look after injured workers would be totally accessible!! ONE parking spot!! No ramp to get on/off the sidewalk to the parking. No sitting place at the door - not even a ledge - to rest. It's tough work hobbling across a parking lot with a cane & a bag of documents!! No accessible washroom & no directions to a washroom in the lobby. Just a sign that said - "Please check in with Reception when you arrive".  I couldn't FIND Reception.  

1 comment:

Louisa said...

Like you I learned to spin in the ‘70’s and I also prefer fleece. I can never understand buying a single lovely dyed braid of roving that doesn’t even fill a bobbin! I want at least 500g minimum.

Unbelievable about the WCB not being completely accessible! Typical though.