Tuesday, July 17, 2018

Just a Dawg

I haven't had a lot of interesting things going on in the last couple of weeks  -  my life has become rather dull. There's nothing much to report other than my 80 year old - next month - Ex gets to keep his license for two more years!  He was so stressed out about losing it since he lives in a corner of the town with nothing within walking distance & poor bus service. But, he's safe for two more years!!!

My efforts to KILL my mice continue! There's a lot of good stuff in the back of my cupboards apparently - like packages of pop corn - that seem to be more interesting than my poisoned peanut butter. So I concocted a new poisonous package with cheese. I bought some Swiss cheese slices & they were tasteless to me but apparently not to mice. The package has vanished!!

It's been so hot this week that I've been doing laundry so I can hang it outside to dry. Since I have a teeny washer & only one rack, the process has been lengthy. But, oh my, how GOOD towels smell when they dry in the sunshine!!! Yesterday was sooooo hot that TWO heavy bath-towels dried in 20 minutes on my patio. I've pulled all the winter socks out. And today, a winter quilt. If I'm going to swelter in the heat, then I'll get some use out of it. On days like this, I wish I had a solar cooker so I could make dinner while the towels dry!!

My rescued fuchsia is leafing out all over. I cut it back, soaked it really good & tucked it into the very back of my patio where the big box of ferns used to be. Apparently it loves the spot & is already setting tiny buds! I should get my ass in gear & re-pot a couple of other things too. Like that poor spider plant that's lived in a plastic drinking glass for 10 years .  .  .  .  And the Jade plant the mouse was living in!

Haven't taken my Indian spinner outside for a spin this summer but I really must. I've been sitting outside in the cool evenings with my knitting instead, making short summer socks. But, I now have 5 or 6 pairs & should be fine for the summer.
Must get that vest done for my niece before it gets cold too since I really need to knit it outside with all the 'bits' it throws off as I work with it. I bought the same B&G Tuffy yarn in RED for myself. I have a 'jacket' pattern that's really a poncho with arms for myself for the winter. I wanted something warm but not too warm that was easy to wear. I don't want to have to take it on & off all the time but I need something when getting from the house to the car & back.

I've been listening to the Maisie Dobbs series by Jacqueline Winspear. Maisie starts out in life as a poor girl around 1900 who goes into service as a maid at 12. Her employers notice how smart she is & send her to school where she wins a place at the University.  WWI breaks out & Maisie trains as a nurse & goes to France. She survives the war to eventually become an 'investigator' who does 'Discrete' investigations. The series is very well written & as true to the period as possible. I think I'm now up to the mid 30's.

1 comment:

Louisa said...

Sure has been hot, hasn’t it? My studio is upstairs in the hottest part of the house so nothing has been accomplished up there recently. It was even too hot to knit outside in the shade yesterday. Stay cool!