Sunday, July 11, 2010

Spinning in the mornings

I've been having problems sleeping all night again. For some reason the sciatica that started when I slept on that hard wooden bunk at a Spinning Retreat has returned with a vengeance. I wake up with pain running down one leg which recedes after I move around & sit in a straight back chair for a while. If I sleep in 4 to 5 hour chunks, it doesn't seem to bother me but if I try to sleep for 8 hours, well, it gets bad. And I've been wearing thongs all week because I couldn't tie my own damned shoes!! For the last few days, I've been waking up around 4 AM, frisky & all ready to go. Crazy I know, but that's how it is. Sunday mornings, I open a business at 7 for one customer for a couple of hours before I do the books. This Sunday morning however, I was there at 6AM with coffee & egg mcmuffin to find my customer already there! We both woke up early & while I went early to read the paper & let the cool air in, he was hoping I'd show up early because he was awake with the birds too.

But, I digress . . . when I can't sleep I've been hauling my Indian Spinner outside onto the patio amidst the jungle of plants & spinning when it's fresh & cool. My project for
the Tour de Fleece has been to finish all those Brown Sheep "lumps" that came from The Sheep Shed in the 15 pound grab bag so long ago. Yes I did share that bag with Gail, but I chose to take most of the "lumps" in my half while giving her more of the mohair/wool roving. I found the "lumps" to be more interesting than the roving which almost spins itself. The "lumps" are a little more rustic & that kind of appealed to me. I'm more the adobe, big baskets, bright colors & chunky wood furniture type anyway!
The big bobbin on my spinner is almost full again - I think I got 4 big fat skeins the last time I emptied it & expect to get the same again this time. I know, I know, I have the new Majacraft Suzie Pro but I started spinning these "lumps" on the Indian Spinner & have to finish th
em on the Indian Spinner so I don't have a change in the yarn on the new machine. Suzie spins differently & much faster too so my barely spun singles will certainly be different! I intend to dye all my skeins at the same time - when it's hot out there hopefully - I'm planning a Kimono style jacket - from the Knitted Kimono book I bought last year.

No comments: