Thursday, October 11, 2018

After Thanksgiving

One more family holiday over & gone. Thanksgiving used to be such a big celebration in my family when I was growing up!! My mother always cooked a huge dinner - we had 6 kids by the way - & often invited people to share. We usually had a big ham or pork roast - one year we had pork & moose. Turkey was usually saved for Christmas.
With nothing else to do, I went to the Starbucks at Safeway on Thanksgiving Monday to see what was On Sale. And found the Mother Lode of dismembered turkey. I do love turkey. And turkey gravy too. But it's the dark meat I love the best & it's hard to get unless you cook a whole turkey. This week I lucked out & found turkey thighs on sale at Safeway. Turkey Thighs!! I haven't seen one in a very long time so I bought 4 of them. YESSSSS

Monday night, I roasted one of my thighs with some baby carrots & little potatoes. I made turkey gravy from the drippings. And thought I'd died & gone to heaven.

On the Needles - I washed some socks last week & found two pairs with big holes that had partially unraveled in several spots!! It looks like broken threads & seems like the same purple yarn in all the socks. The yarn is 100% merino sock yarn while most of the other yarn is the usual 85% wool & 15% nylon yarn. I've never had this problem before although I've heard of it. One pair is a real favorite & while I think I can fix one sock with a crochet hook, the other one has such big holes that I'm just going to tear it back to mid foot & reknit a third of the sock. I wonder why that purple yarn has failed??? If I had moths, other yarns should be affected but it only seems to be that purple. And I bought it with a batch of other solid colors for heels & toes from a local shop. Yarn failure??
My Sweater - my hands have been really sore this past week - thumbs & forefingers especially. Have no idea what this is all about except that it's painful to knit with larger needles & chunkier yarn right now. So, no progress other than I'm past the armholes & moving down the body. This is just a top-down raglan cardigan from Cabin Fever to keep me warm in the office while I work. I'm using Briggs & Little Heritage yarn which softens up with handling. I love the feel & weight of it & I think it will be very cozy as I work.
Discovered a whole lot of acrylic in one of the tubs - it's light grey with red in it & about a sport weight. I think I'll make it the next project for myself & do the same top-down cardi. Nothing fancy, just a round neck raglan with three quarter sleeves & a couple of buttons. I just want it for a little warmth in my cold, cold basement.


No comments: