Wednesday, November 14, 2018

Let There Be Heat

Yesterday, the heat came on!! I try not to be a pussy but it was getting to be really, really cold in my cement basement! The butter won't even spread. The landlord & I usually have our contest every year until one of us says "HEAT" but this year, I just didn't know. Anyway, the Son knocked on my door & asked me if I know how to check the pilot light because he tried turning on the thermostat & nothing happened. We checked it all out but other than taking off parts & replacing the filter, we were both boobs. He even checked his Smart Phone. I checked the Reader's Digest 'Repairs' book but it turned out we were still boobs. Just by accident, he noticed the light switch on the outside of the electrical room. What's that for he asked? Dunno, I said, your dad told me to never touch it. He flipped it & the furnace came on. Oh oh he said, I think I might've turned that off when I checked out the filter last time I was here .   .   .   .   thought it was a light switch. Damn kid!!!

The furnace ran for over an hour until it shut off! And I had to take two quilts off the bed in the middle of the night  .   .   .   . 

Now that I have heat again, I have to crank up my ass & get back to work. I have three projects on my desk to get finished before the end of the month because I have another year coming - with several employees - to do ASAP. It never rains but it pours!! At least my fingers will be warm enough to work. And it's time to get the stew pot simmering with winter soups & stews once more. Maybe this year I'll learn to make 'no knead' bread to go with them.


Audiobooks - Listening to Ann Cleeves' Shetland series once more. And she added a new book this year! Jimmy Perez, our local police Inspector, is working once more with Willow Reeves from the mainland as they unravel local legend, gossip & search for another murderer. Also listening to an old favorite, Anne McCaffrey & her Pern series. I'm listening to "Moreta, Dragonlady of Pern". This one is new to me but I enjoy all of the original books by Anne, I quit buying them once her son Todd took over .  .  .  .


On the Needles - sock repairs continue. I am replacing several toes instead of darning them. Yeah, I could double stitch too but sometimes it's just as easy to put on a new toe in a wild color, especially if the sock has shrunk a little in the wash over time. When the last two pairs of socks are finished, I have Lara's vest to finish & one of my sweaters-on-the-go to finish for me. Still thinking of just making it a cap sleeve vest to wear over my long sleeved tee shirts for winter.

No comments: