Sunday, November 18, 2018

Upgrading

I haven't vacuumed my basement in a couple of years. I've made do with a Swiffer, a Swiffer duster & a broom - got one of those nifty dustpans on a long handle that swivel too - but it's come to the point where the dust bunnies breed in the night & I just can't keep up. I hate stirring up the dust with the vacuum because I can't take a deep breath for a couple of days after I use the damn thing.  So, I investigated all the Big Names in vacuuming & talked to people who have them. I heard a lot of good & bad along the way. Repairmen say that the older machines were built better, operate longer & clean better. The old ones don't have all the bells & whistles but maybe I really don't need that self cleaning dirt cup that needs to be emptied all the time. The swivel ball is nice but do I really need to pay $400 more to get one??? I need a machine that can get dirt & dust off floors, dust bunnies & cobwebs high up in the corners, dust my books & not cost a fortune or weigh too much. After a lot of looking & talking I decided to just upgrade my old Hoover. I got it second hand with a power head for carpets but there's no other tools. Today I dug it out, dusted it off & checked it out. The hose is good, suction is excellent & the power head works just fine. And Al's Vacuums in Whalley found me an entire set of new-to-me tools including an extra wand & even threw in a package of bags. I just have to dust off the old girl, insert a new yellow bag & go forth dusting .   .   .   . 

On the Needles - finished re-knitting the holey socks!! I really must take a photo before they wind up on my feet!!
Lara's Pabaigh is back in my hands & I managed to add about an inch to it tonight before bed. It's knit in one piece from the bottom up then split for front & back shaping so there won't be any seams to sew when I'm done!! Lara will be really glad to get this since she says it's impossible to keep a scarf on when she's bending over & shoveling out the barn. Basically the Pabaigh is a vest with a cowl attached.
Next I will be pulling out all the UFOs in the pile next to my old TV watching chair & figure out which one will be finished for ME since my ratty old office sweater needs to go into the trash before it falls apart on my back.



No comments: