Thursday, January 02, 2020

New Year's Day

On New Year's day, my Roomie died. Some time after midnight he slipped away in his sleep. When you get down to the nitty-gritty of it, that's a pretty fine way to go - in your sleep & in your own bed! He was 81 & worried about losing his driver's license this year when it was supposed to renew. He was often sad that he & Bill were the only two still alive out of his group of friends that met at Mcdonald's at 6:30 AM & totally pissed about the new mayor!
He was also happy - most of the time - that I moved back into this crappy little house although I didn't want to do it! Just a few days ago he told me I was a royal pain in the ass but I sure wasn't cheap. He even agreed that life was a little more exciting with me around.

The Hovel is so quiet without him in it. He used to vacuum, take out the garbage, hang the wash, clean the bathtub & carry in the groceries. There used to be chatter, toilet flushing, dish washing, fridge opening & closing. There was no one to say goodnight to last night. And I miss him already.

Today, a friend called me up & told me to get in gear & meet him for coffee. We spent an hour & a half laughing about how life smacks us around & changes the plans we make. I whined a little & he let me. Little Ron is so supportive when he's not talking religion or politics  .  .  .  .  he got me out & I bless him for it. 

Knitting - Not a damn stitch today although I got my spinner out. It sits next to the bin of Romney roving I want to spin for winter mitts. I intend to make another pair of Spirogyra - to my elbows!!!

4 comments:

Sue said...

So very sorry to hear this news. You are going to miss your old roomie. x

Cathy said...

So sorry to hear of your loss. . Friends that will make you laugh over coffee even for a few moments are the best .

Louisa said...

So sorry for your loss, dear Sharon. Hope the rest of this new decade treats you better!

Anonymous said...

Little things leave big gaps when they go. Life is a bummer but no alternative to it. keep on blogging