Saturday, April 10, 2021

Big Game Hunting . . . . Wheelchair


Wheelchair or Transport chair,
that is the question! or sell my car & buy a van with hydraulic lift & scooter? My knee still isn't well. I still can't stand at the sink & wash dishes. One of my pals suggested I just buy a good folding wheelchair because I'm not going to grow a new body any time soon & I should be prepared. He has a point. It's not easy to get a wheelchair when you can't go see it & try it out. I need the Big Girl chair with a wider ass & no one has one in the shop. The spiffy lighter - 33 lbs - one I want is backordered. I want one that folds with one click removable foot rests, backordered. The heavy steel one found at the airport is in stock but costs $300 more & is almost 60lbs. I don't want to take out my back stowing a wheelchair in the van.

This past week I had to cancel two medical appointments because I can't walk well enough to get to them. Renting a wheelchair is almost impossible on short notice & my doctor has to arrange a loaner with the Red Cross in advance. That is, if they have one. She called today & is arranging to send the portable Lab people to sample my blood & hopefully, give me my Covid shot. She is also willing to see me about my leg but I'll go next week if it doesn't get better - I figure I SHOULD be able to walk by then!! But I did suggest some good drugs would help but all she'd offer is Naproxen - nasty stuff burns my gut!! Back to Tylenol Arthritis, I guess .  .  .  .  Hopefully all this is just a bad  memory by May04 when I see the eye surgeon once more.

Today - Saturday - Mike dropped off a big bottle of Tylenol Arthritis on Thursday. It made a big difference in my pain level. I am now able to walk a lot easier although I can't walk for very long or down that damned ramp to my car or garbage can. It does dull the pain in my hip & knee so I can get up & down a whole lot easier. Maybe I can get something into the slow cooker today. I'm pretty tired of sandwiches & cold food that I can carry in a plastic bag. Hopefully life will be better this coming week because I'm looking forward to going for a drive even if it's only to fill the gas tank or get a coffee! Anywhere but here is fine with me!!


2 comments:

Cyndi in BC said...

Hi Sharon, I wonder if my experience might be helpful for you. I use a heavy duty walker that I use outdoors and indoors to carry things like meals, knitting, etc. I've tried several over the years but my favourite is the Evolution Walker, wide version. I'll try putting in the link for you. https://www.evolutionwalker.com/product-detail/product_type/walkers/items/evolution-series.html

Also, Factory Direct Medical in Ontario is having a mobility sale right now so that might be helpful. I've ordered from them fairly regularly and their delivery time to BC is not bad. I'll try putting that link for you too. https://www.factorydirectmedical.com/ch1097-wheelchair.html

If the links don't come through here I could email them to you if you want.

Hope you can find some relief.

The socklady said...

Just had a message from G, about sending an email. I can’t find yours anywhere.

I did get the fauchi ouchi on Wednesday, sore at injection site until today, now back to normal activities.

My email. sockladyspins@gmail.com