Thursday, December 30, 2021

More Snow Days


 
Wow, more snow on top of the old snow! My car is a big marshmallow in the drive. Since this is not the weather for an unsteady gimp to go wandering, I am staying inside until it's gone. Lucky for me, Mike is still shopping for me & his mom, so I have nothing to go out for. I really, really miss Mcdonald's coffee & Egg McMuffins but he does remember them sometimes too . . . .  My semi tame cat meows at the door morning & evening so I'm not totally alone. She's looking magnificent in her long fur coat but then, she should be since she's scarfing down a can & a half of soft food with her crunchies every day. But she does pay for her keep - every couple of days she likes to stay inside at night, in the back of the kitchen, on the big mat next to the sliding door. She gets to look outside from the top of the stairs into the snowy wilderness. While there, she does away with the wildlife coming in for the winter. I think she probably sneers at the big, black, wild cat that likes to steal her food all summer when the door is open, too. 

I gave myself a subscription to PLY magazine for my birthday last spring. And then I ordered a whole lot of back issues that arrived in early December. I really prefer to have physical books & magazines in my hands although I will read them online if I have to. Did I mention that I love textbooks & wrote in the columns when I was in college?? It's so hard to highlight, underline & make notes in downloads .  .  .  

I really like PLY. I have years & years of back issues to others, although I gave up subscribing since they seemed to recycle all the old stuff over & over. Today I was reading the Worsted issue. I learned that I spin mostly Woolen but change to semi Worsted when I spin prepared, dyed fibre. Interesting. I like woolen method the best, overall, except for socks. I love to spin right from the fleece or tease the wool into a big cloud & spin from that. I love the smell of clean fleece as I spin & I also love knitting it into soft, warm hats, mitts & scarves. 

I haven't knit a woolen spun sweater in years although I do like to crochet afghans with it.
They're warmer, even a small one for the knees, but stretch too much for a sweater in my size. I've not been a fan of shawls but maybe I should try a simple one now that I'm confined to home & the big chair in the cold. A simple, garter stitch, triangular shawl in grey Romney might be nice to have. And there's that big bag of Coopworth & the bag of Pink Merino badly processed into blobs, knots & semi carded batts. I love the color of the Merino but it will never be anything but blobby art yarn so, might as well go with the flow & make it so. Now, where the heck is the box where it's packed away??

No comments: