Wednesday, December 08, 2021

Out on the Town



Successfully signed on for the Covid booster shot this A.M. Thankfully, I was able to get an appointment before Christmas & at the Covid centre in the middle of town. It's flat with very convenient handicapped parking right at the door!! I can easily - well, easier than most other places - access the place all by myself, even with an O2 cart & cane. I expect it will be much easier to get in & out this time around since I won't have to juggle that damned cane & the O2 cart.


I just got Frank - my brand new walker with a seat - I can go more places!! Mike picked it up last week & assembled it for me. I've had a couple of sessions walking with it already. Walked two houses down & back the first day without problems & went to Hen Long - favorite Chinese grocery - two days after that. Had to sit down several times while shopping but got in & out with roast pork, Udon noodles, fried bananas, BBQ pork buns, fish balls & home again!! The hardest part was getting Frank in & out of the van by myself & hauling groceries up the ramp. I did have to dump the shopping bag on the table & lay down for a nap when I got the door open, but I made it! Saturday, I also went to my Doctor's office for my flu shot. That was a longer walk made easier with Frank. My only complaint was that the walker was a bit too low. I want to walk upright not hunched over . . . . other than that, I'm happy.

Mike added an attachment for the O2 bottle & a coffee holder with some help from the Home Depot plumbing department. Frank came with a basket/pouch in front & seat which will hold up to 500 pounds. That's me, O2 bottle, coffee & groceries included - I made sure I couldn't exceed the GVW. All the brake cabling is inside the structure so there's nothing to catch on things as I walk. It is a bit of a struggle to get it in & out of the van on my own but I think practice will fix that. A little upper body workout once in a while should help too. It's so much better than dragging the small O2 cart & trying to use a cane when my leg is painful & it's far more stable than not using a cane, that's for sure!! Now when I walk faster than my O2 can deliver, I can sit, relax & wait. Simple. I know, I know, this is the top of the scooter slope but I want to walk as long as I can. 


Knitting - I decided I need a simple cardigan to keep me warm while I watch tv in the evenings. I aired most of my Briggs & Little yarn this past spring & summer, a skein at a time, letting them blow in the wind until all the dust & bits were gone. I do love B&G for it's toughness, colorfastness & ease of use. It 'sticks' to itself so you don't have to worry about dropping a stitch. It's good for color work if that's your thing & it just gets softer with handling. I knit a hoodie for a friend a few years back & his mom pinched it when she came for a visit. She said she washed it on 'gentle' & even tossed it into the dryer for a short tumble before drying it flat. Apparently it just got softer & a little fuzzy. Just reporting! I've washed & tumbled a washcloth-sized sample with good results so I'm not surprised but I haven't had the guts to throw a whole sweater in . . . .

Years ago, I bought a whole basket of Blue B&L skeins on sale from my favorite yarn shop. Most of the skeins were different shades, some also thicker than others & I added a full Red skein as well as several balls of other colored leftovers. I know they're all in my bins & should make a terrific house cardi with a wild striped yoke on a plain blue body. What do you think???

A pair of socks also on the go but I have to work on them during the day before I get too tired to see the stitches! Also trying to finish a crocheted afghan.



No comments: