Thursday, February 10, 2022

The Cleaning Lady Cometh

 I've been hanging on to Independence with breaking fingernails. As I become feebler - is that even a word??? - I've been squawking loudly that I can do it myself. But, if it falls on the floor, it stays there unless I can get it up with my picker up stick or bend over on a good day. 

Sunday I knocked over a half cup of coffee & had to throw a towel over it because I couldn't wipe it up. There's a ring of 'stuff', including garbage bags, where I sit most often. I have a method to the madness. I have to admit, it gets out of hand. Just pulling stuff out of the back or bottom of the fridge or the dryer reduces me to breathlessness very quickly. Do it too often & I have to spend the rest of the day in my chair, quietly or go to bed. Cooking has become difficult unless it's in one pot & washing floors is impossible. But, I'm not ready for Care quite yet. 

Enter the Cleaning Lady. She's the girlfriend of a friend of mine who came to Canada to work in her Aunt's cleaning company. Aunty sponsored her, provided room & board & minimum wages. And then aunty treated her like a slave. She managed somehow to save enough money to get back home but my friend offered free room & board if she would keep house for him, instead. I think she's also been cooking for his best friend who lives in the basement suite! She eventually organized the whole house, renters & all, became engaged to my friend & looked after him when he had a near fatal illness & surgery! She's all of 4'11" & never stops working. She called me & told me I needed help & she was available on Mondays. Before I knew it, she was here with rubber gloves & bucket. She cleaned the kitchen & moved stuff around until I had to make her stop & go home!! Boy, does my kitchen sink ever sparkle! That woman is a dynamo. She did all the work but I was worn out when she left. She also thinks she needs to cook for me. OMG. I'm going to try to confine her to 4 hours a week doing all the things that make me breathless. Mike loves her already .  .  .  .

Knitting - you know how it is when the sun comes out & you start dreaming of summer Tees & airy open Cardigans??? I've already been sitting on the porch with the old Ipad looking .  .  .  .  problem is, I think I'd like to spin on the porch instead. Meanwhile, I've just cast-on another big washcloth in orange & white stripey cotton.


No comments: