Monday, October 24, 2022

The Cat Did It!


 
My feral cat bit me rather badly two weeks ago. Dunno what upset her or why but it was like someone touched her with an electric wire, she suddenly puffed up, growled and grabbed my little finger at it's base and tried to take all the meat off in one bite. I think she ground her teeth on the bone as I lifted her off the ground and shook her with her firmly attached at the finger. I have never felt anything more painful! I didn't realize at the time that she had dug a couple of holes in my leg as she took off - I was too busy staunching the blood shooting out of my hand. I knew I needed a tetanus shot & antibiotics right away but decided to go to the clinic in the morning. Stupid of me, of course, but I wasn't really thinking at that point, covered in blood, hurting like hell in my ratty old shorts & tee with no bra on at 2:30AM. 

By the time Mike got here in the morning, my hand was really swollen and my leg was weeping into my slipper. My clinic squeezed me in, cleaned me up, gave me a shot & prescription and ratted me out to my Respirology Therapist, Respirologist & regular Doctor. Within two days, I was on new medication - the Nurse Practitioner was concerned about me!!, I had a new compressor - goes to higher levels of O2 AND two prescriptions for antibiotics - they wanted me to go to the Emerg for IV delivery but there was no room at the Inn. I promised to get it filled immediately and take every last pill. I may be careless about my pets but I am not stupid!

Other than a sore and still healing little finger - it's amazing how often you NEED that finger too - there is Ulnar nerve damage for sure & it may never bend all the way again. BUT overall, I feel better. I have more OOMPH in the house because my O2 levels are higher! My new compressor is much quieter and of course, it delivers a lot more compressed air. I can stand up to cook much longer. I can do more chores in the house like unloading my own washer & some of the dryer! 

And the cat??? Well, I have never seen such behavior in any cat before. She has always been such a quiet, shy animal. She showed up a few days later sitting next to the food bowl. She won't come near me & I don't try to touch her. I do keep crunchies in the bowl and will put wet food in morning and night. She does keep the mice away and feral cats keep the raccoons away too. Much rather have cats than raccoons!! 

Knitting - well, not much knitting going on right now with my sore little finger .  .  .  .  but I have two projects on the go. One is a cap from the Salt Water gang in Newfoundland and the other is a plain, vanilla, top-down cardi from Deb Gemmell from the Need a Plus Cardigan book. Knitting both of them in Briggs & Little yarns. Yeah Canada!!

1 comment:

ck said...

That does sound painful .Fingers crossed for a speedy recovery and painless knitting .