Thursday, August 17, 2023

Breath of Hell

 It was so hot in my little house yesterday - even in front of a fan - that I didn't move unless I had to or cook anything at all. Lucky for me I found some salmon cream cheese to put on my whole grain flat bread. Even going to the bathroom was tough because there's no fan in there & the heat made it hard to catch my breath with even the smallest exertion. A good wipe & head soaking with a cold wet washcloth made it bearable though. 

Made the mistake of NOT opening my doors really early so the house didn't cool down. So today, I got up & opened everything up at 6:30. It was actually chilly sitting at my desk under the ceiling fan!! The furnace thermometer on the wall is no longer over 30 - I have no idea how hot it was since the needle was mashed against the side & 30 is the highest reading. It's happily recording a temp of 19 today. 

Years ago, Marlow would lock the fence & we'd leave the doors open to cool air all night. The dogs patrolled the yard so the raccoons didn't come in & the whole place stayed cool. And, we did have that monster fir tree in the front yard which blocked the sun too. Nowadays, there's only me so I'm fair game for every raccoon in town!! It's amazing how small a space they can squeeze through so I can't even leave anything partially open .  .  .

No comments: