Wednesday, September 13, 2023

Allergy Season

 I don't know what's in the air just now but I've been sneezing myself blind & coughing more too. Coughing is sort of normal but all the sneezing is not! My nose gets that tickle with a slight burn in it that sets me off. Then my eyes start to water. Not much fun in trying to knit with all that going on!!! I guess the second ALLERGY part of the year has begun. 

When I was 4 my parents bought their first home on the fringes of Cloverdale - really down the bottom of Murphy Road - 172 St in future, just off Townline - 96 Ave in future - in the Skunk Cabbage swamp. It was 2 acres, surrounded by woods on one side & a farmer's field on the other. It had a small, two bedroom house, a well house & a small barn. A small stream ran through it close to the house where ducks hung out. My mother used to 'collect' animals at the Cloverdale auction so we had a collection of everything from goats, piglets, cow, rabbits & poultry. We aren't going to talk about birds . . . she had everything from pigeons - a pink, ruffled one was my fav - to pheasants with the chickens. I loved everything about the farm except for weeding & my nose ran from late spring until freeze up. I sneezed my way through summer. I itched my way through hay season. I had the red measles for a week before anyone realized it at school because I was always wiping, sneezing & scratching .  .  .  .

But I loved that place as a kid! We had the freedom to run wild & discovered Hazelnuts & Huckleberries in the woods. We made trails through the tall grass & climbed all the trees. We made pets out of the chickens - mine rode on my shoulder & made nests in the hay loft, yeah, I sneezed & coughed the whole way. Funny how I remember bouncing from branch to branch through the vine Maple bush like a  monkey as I try to bend over to pick something off the floor!!

That little Farm was a great place to be a kid even though I guess I was allergic to most of it. No one knew or paid much attention until we moved to the edge of a subdivision - still had bush on one side & some of our friends lived in shacks with outhouses, but it wasn't a farm with fields, animals & a barn. A lot of my allergies disappeared.


Knitting - I'm having trouble with it. I sneeze & sneeze. I've ordered a box of masks from Amazon. I need those Wristers & that Cowl right now.


No comments: