Saturday, September 29, 2007

No More Early Mornings!

Monday is the last morning I'll have to get up at 6:15 this year! Not that I mind getting up early in the summer when the sun is peaking over the trees & the birds are waking up. When it's warm enough to sit outside on the patio with a cup of fresh tea in my PJs with the cat sunning herself in the chair, I'm quite happy to get up. But, when it's cold, damp, drizzly & still dark - I don't think so. Especially when it's winter in the morning, summer at lunchtime & late fall by 5:30, what do you wear???? I am quite frustrated by the weather these days & would rather sleep in till the sun comes out.


I've been knitting like mad on my Arvik sweater. As you can see, it's almost long enough. And the color is closer to the actual color in this photo although it's still too light!! The color is more like the sample square but the photo shows the color variation well. I think I'm going to work on the sleeves this weekend - I want three-quarter sleeves since I'm always pushing them up anyway. I'm knitting two singles about fingering weight on 5mm needles - I love my Denise needles by the way - in a plain stockinette which is quite light & very stretchy. I figure it'll probably grow a little when I wear it so I'm just going to make it fingertip length. I don't want to spend my time sitting on it & stretching it even more in the back!! And I'm really looking forward to wearing it on these chilly mornings. The yarn has knit up so well that I'm considering spinning up more in this weight for a Faroese shawl that I can just wrap around me & tie when I'm working. I just love this color & I love the yarn!! And Arvik is growing me another fleece as I type . . . . . . .


I nearly fatally cooked the van this week. I've been trained to always check the oil & fill up the water reservoir when I gas up. And never, never, never put water directly into the rad! Well, my water pump went. The boys had been telling me all week - when I had no heat - that I needed a thermostat & it would get fixed it on the weekend. Well, good thing the mornings have been cold this week because I had no water circulating in the end & the boys were wrong. So, on Friday, I had three guys looking for a cheap car for me because I was sure I'd reduced the van to a boat anchor!! I got lucky. Turns out that by pulling over, letting it cool down twice & then running home, I saved it. Whew, I thought my fibre stash money was going onto a new old car . . . .


I finished another pair of socks! I needed a gift under $10 & I hate to shop. The yarn cost me $2.25 a ball & I used almost 2 balls & my time watching tv in the evenings. I figure I could buy a lot of junk for $10 or make what I'm good at. So they're getting my usual SOCKS. And they better not complain!!! This sock is from the last balls of Mexiko from a bag I bought several years ago when the Chocolate Shop in Abbotsford closed out. I got a huge discount on the yarn & then they chopped off more for buying the whole bag!!! I still have a couple of balls in one of the blue colorways but they're for me, eventually. Almost everyone I know has this orange/red Mexiko by now & I'm sick of it.


Meanwhile, back at the ranch - I have no wheels till tomorrow when the mechanic comes. My mother, from out of town, calls. She's in town for the weekend & wants to spend some time together. Haven't seen or heard from her in almost 7 years till a phone call last month. I have to work Saturday, wait for the mechanic & do laundry Sunday, work Monday & she's heading home on Tuesday morning . . . . . .

No comments: