Friday, April 18, 2008

Happy Birthday to ME!


This has been Birthday Week. The BT had his on the 12th & mine is on the 16th. Until I met him, I never bothered much with my birthday - hey, I'm the one who forgot about her own 30th birthday & went off on a caretak
er job for a week or so. My friends were really pissed because somebody, in an Instant of Insanity, thought they'd plan a surprise party complete with the requisite male stripper!! And then they couldn't find me . . . . But, I digress - everyone found me THIS week.


The Wednesday Nite Nitting Gang made sure I was coming & brought cake! Thank you Kathy. Gail slipped a little something dyed in Neon Pinks & Chocolate - above - into my knitting bag & Karen blessed me with another lovely set of handmade stitch markers - you can NEVER have too many of those!! Inside each of the black beads is a tiny little pink rose - they're sooooo pretty!

I got some of this very same roving a couple of years ago from Gail for my birthday. I spun it up right away but never made anything out of it since there wasn't enough to really do anything but socks, a hat or scarf. It's much too pretty for socks & I don't really wear hats or scarves so I hung the two skeins up as art! I really liked the colorway & was only recently - like Tuesday when my hands were freezing cold at work AGAIN - that I started thinking about making some fingerless gloves with it when I suddenly got MORE for my birthday!! I think I might actually have enough for a working shawl - especially if I knit it on slightly bigger needles!! Karen recommends a Faroese shawl which is fitted to the shoulders so it won't fall off. And, no, your eyes don't deceive you - there's a little turquoise in one skein - I think it was already ON the bobbin & ended up coming off in the skein when I wasn't looking. I kind of liked it there, so I just left it.

Thursday Nite, I got another big surprise. The BT called me on Wednesday to go out to dinner for my birthday but I said no, it was Nitting Nite!! So he called again on Thursday & we trotted out to dinner. Apparently he got a couple of KEG cards for HIS birthday & thought it only fitting that WE should celebrate together. So, we scarfed down Prime Rib & garlic mashed spuds & washed it all down with beer. We were so stuffed we could barely walk out the door. It was a hellova birthday.

No comments: