Sunday, April 20, 2008

I've been busy knitting socks again

So, Mother's Day approaches rapidly. My own mother only calls when someone in the family dies so I've adopted & been adopted by the BT's family. That doesn't mean I'm off the list when it comes to remembering all the Important Days though. Especially since I started knitting socks again. They just KNOW they'll get socks on the Important Days. And, well, what DO you buy the Parents Who Have Everything for those events???? Yeah, we all could use a new car or a trip to Tahiti but we're talking about the LITTLE events like Mother's Day - I mean, could YOU afford to buy your Mom a new car?? I thought not. So, we're back to socks.

I truly ENJOY knitting socks. They're fast, fun & easy to take anywhere. I started knitting socks for practical reasons - I've had cold feet most of my life. And now I don't. But, you can get too many socks - you should see my basket!! So I branched out. I'm slowly filling the BT's basket - I think he has a dozen now, his mom must have a dozen by now & his dad is getting there. Once everybody has a drawer full, I may start knitting fingerless gloves!
This is my last pair of Mexiko socks. I got half a bag of Mexiko on sale for a terrific price when the Chocolate Shop in Chilliwack closed. I'm truly sick of Mexiko in this colorway. I think I made a pair in one of the Denim colorways that was really nice but I haven't done anything else but THIS one since. I found the last two balls & these will go to the BT's MOM for Mother's Day. I know she's got a short pair which she really likes so I thought I'd knit her up a longer pair for those cold days when the wind blows up your pants.

And just to make things really good - I've even finished the 'girly' socks for the BT's Dad - his term, not mine - for Father's Day, well in advance of the event!! I bought this Confetti with the BT's Dad in mind because it's much paler than my usual choices. I really liked the softer colors in the ball. His Dad's taste runs to the MANLY colors of black, brown & navy - but, at least he's more adventurous than his son who wouldn't wear anything that wasn't WHITE COTTON until I knit HIM socks!!! I've introduced patterned socks to both of them which are more adventurous than they really like but neither have given them back - his Dad says they're under his pants so what does it matter??? But, I know he'd like some a little plainer. That's why I chose this 'calmer' yarn for him. Well . . . . it's calm to ME!

Now I have time to finish my Gluttony Socks. Remember them?? Well, I'm down to the K1S1 heel & I'm shaping the gusset stitches. There was a pattern included with the Gluttony Socks
but after the 4th correction was published, I decided to just knit them in all their colorful glory in my usual simple fashion with the Queen's heel that I so love. I think they're beautiful! And I've already been notified that the next SINful package is being readied for shipping at the beginning of May!! I am soooooo glad I signed up for this - it really is a treat to look forward to!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your socks are all so nice. Where would I find the instructions for the Queens heel? I am not familiar with it.

Take care, Joanne

Sharon in Surrey said...

Thanx Joanne!! I got my heel from Crazy Heels & Toes by Queen Kahuna. She self publishes & you can find it by Googling the title or her name - she's really a Maryann but you won't find her there!!!