Tuesday, September 25, 2018

Indian Summer

This is the part of the year that I love the best - unless it includes broken teeth & mice!!! It's warm outside during the day - shorts weather -  but cold enough at night that you can burrow under a flannel covered quilt with the window open!!! There's a hundred different apples at the Farmer's Market next to all the salad greens & root veggies. It's time to blow the dust off the Slow Cooker & make soup. I have to confess that I bought FOUR packages of Pot Barley at Safeway yesterday when I dropped in for milk, my favorite chopped greens & any meat markdowns I could find. I got lucky & found several packages of chicken, a whole pork loin AND the big long package of unsliced Kraft Havarti cheese at half price!!! Not on the shopping list but the start of many meals to come since I love to stir fry everything.

This is the time of year when my house plants really grow like stink before setting buds. The cacti are covered with tiny new segments - sometimes it appears as if they do nothing all summer but get greener & greener then suddenly, when the nights get cool, they burst into growth & buds. My Snake plant has been producing a new leaf a week in the office lately. It just got too big & heavy to go outside this year but it seems to really like the spot in the west facing office window so I guess it's found it's permanent place. Now if we can only keep the shorts weather going for a while .   .   . 

My last pair of Goth Kitty short socks are just about finished. The heels are turned & I'm racing for the toes because it's just about time to bring out all the LONG winter socks  .   .   .   not quite yet, but it's coming. I intend to WEAR these not-quite-finished socks at least once before I put them away for the winter!!!

Dug out a top down simple sweater I was working on last winter - one of several in the UFO pile. Too many sweaters & not enough hands! I chose the one with the least left to do. This sweater is finished to the armholes so most of the work is already done - should get completed faster right???? Well, I'll just hook up the TV again I guess, that'll do it. I will knit while I watch those British Detective shows!!! And I really, really need something warm & new this year. I even bought some RED Briggs & Little to make myself a simple garter cardi for the office which I can't start without the needles stuck in the half done one. So, my work is chosen & I'm not even counting the wristers & the hat I'll need because I cut off all my hair - eeeek.

2 comments:

Louisa said...

I adore autumn too! So many pretty colours. Ooh, you cut your hair! How do you like it? I haven’t had long hair since the 1970s because mine is totally non-cooperative and won’t stay braided, ponytailed or pinned and it drives me crazy when it gets in my face! Short hair is so much easier except for the part where you have to get it cut every month or so. I’ve been going to the same hairdresser for over 20 years and all she does is trim it. No wash, product or blow dry and doesn’t charge me too much. Love her.

Sharon in Surrey said...

My Great Grandmother left me only one thing, terrible hair!! It's baby fine, silky, dishwater colored & dead straight. The only time it looks really good is about a month into a new perm!!! I've been permed and/or dyed all my life. As a teen, I grew it long, pulled it into a topknot & pinned fake curled hair on top. I developed psoriasis in my scalp that got worse with age so I cut it all off. Essentially I got a crew cut in April. Now I can wash it with a facecloth before I brush my teeth. Shorts & tees for summer, sweats for winter & a crew cut - I am becoming an old man as I age . . . .