Monday, November 07, 2022

It was a Dark & Stormy Night


 Wasn't that a weekend?? My power went out before midnight on Friday & didn't come back until Sunday morning, just in time for brunch. Not a big thing in the scope of things unless you're attached to a compressor that supplies most of the oxygen you breathe. I do have portable oxygen in tanks so I can leave the house but my house oxygen supplies most of what I use, especially at night. Tanks, when set for my use, last about 4.5 hours & we normally have 10, less any used ones. I was lucky this time, I had 8 unused tanks or about 36 hours when the power went off. I was prepared to load myself into my car & go to the hospital when I hooked up the last tank since they'd hook me into the house oxygen & give me a nice, warm blanket to boot. But the power came back on while I was still using tank number 8. 

And why didn't I call for help?? Cell phone died. And I really didn't need help until my oxygen reserve got really low. I had my eBook with the backlight & my audiobook player to keep me company. I could go into my car & charge my phone if I got desperate. I had a couple of  Berkshire blankets from the Shopping Channel so I was cozy in my chair & bed. Mike came over on Saturday because he couldn't get hold of me, brought me coffee & a Mcmuffin, hooked up his generator & plugged my phone into his truck for a charge. Unluckily for me, my compressor pulled too much power & killed the generator. But, of course, we thought the power would be back on any time! His mom, not two blocks away, had power on Saturday morning! 

I survived it all. Secretly, if I had the oxygen machine, the TV & a pot of tea hooked up to the generator, I'd be more than happy if it happens again!


1 comment:

Barb G. said...

Glad things worked out for you. My husband west the route of CO2 It is interesting. He was up to 10 before e passed. Please watch yours and take care. I always enjoy your blog. I live in Idaho+