Sunday, July 16, 2023

The Dawg Days of Summer


Just a cool reminder of cold days past! It used to be hot for the last couple of weeks in August but these days the heat seems to start in May. Thank goodness for my fans, that's all I can say. I've been mostly eating a lot of fruit & salads so I don't have to cook & heat up the place but the occasional pot of soup is still mighty tasty on the cooler days. I can't imagine life without the microwave especially on these hot days! 

While moving stuff about in the fridge, I found a package of ground meat. Guess I'm making Fried Rice for lunch & Beef & Broccoli for dinner!! I'm not crazy about cooking in this heat but stir fry is fast & delicious & not overloaded with salt if you make your own.

Not much going on around the old Shack. Ron is still sick - he dropped in yesterday after dragging himself to work for a half day - I took one look & ordered him out & home to bed. He looked terrible. I gave him a half hour & called to make sure he made it home!! He had. And he promised to warm up some chicken noodle soup & go to bed. I'll call his roomie if I don't hear from him today.

Mike is off to his trailer this weekend. He needs the break because he was looking awful on Thursday evening! What is it with the men in my life?? I guess it's easy for me laying in the recliner without a worry - more or less - while they struggle with the cost of living. I hope he lays about himself this weekend & relaxes .  .  .  he did say he might come home the back way via Chester's Chicken & bring me a treat! I'll take it! even though I'm not supposed to eat that stuff anymore .  .  . hahaha

Knitting - I found the cardigan I started before my hospital visit. Lucky for me, I'd stuffed it into a large Ziplock bag so it didn't get disturbed when my niece cleaned up. My washcloth-in-progress somehow lost it's circular needle .  .  .  but the cardigan is okay. I'm to the top of the shoulder working my way down to the armhole. I'm using a simple garter stitch with an increase pattern from Deb Gemmel's book "Need a Plus Sized Cardigan?". I simply use a yarn-over for the increase which makes a series of holes for interest. I'm using Briggs & Little's Sport which is 100% wool singles yarn. And yes, it feels scratchy and yes, it has bits of VM in it. But the yarn softens as you work with it, the VM falls out or you can pick it out & it's 'sticky' so it's pretty hard to drop a stitch which makes it perfect for colorwork! And it's Canadian, from sheep to yarn.


No comments: