Thursday, January 03, 2008

The Agony & the Ecstasy

I've already attempted to blow my New Year's resolutions all to Hell. I have some of my friend Karen's sock project bags. Karen loves to find these & has rules for buying the bags.The rules for these bags are #1 - they have to be see thru & #2 - they have to be under a buck! I got lucky & was able to get the BIG Kahlua bag for my Arvik sweater project but mostly these bags are too small for anything other than a pair of socks. I need another BIG bag to hold my Ginny while I'm working on it. So I came up with a plan - I've wanted a felted bag for sooooooo long but my apartment size washer just won't make felt - but someone pointed me at a Knitty project, UNBIASED. It's knit from waste Silk Sari yarns! Perfect for a knitting bag I thought!!

Now, last year, I bought 15 skeins of yarn on eBay. I planned to unwind it somewhat, pull it & re-spin it into something useable. Bad Idea. It's waaaaay too dirty, scratchy & itchy to do much with. I unwound several skeins & got about 30% more yarn from it's sad & overtwisted skeins. Pulling them to make it thinner proved to be ruinous to the fingers & joints. I threw it into a drawer & forgot about it.
But, I still need a knitting bag that's roomy enough for a large project & tough enough to withstand the poking from needles & scissors. It also has to be able to sit on the floor wherever I go but not look like a beat up gunny sack or torn plastic bag. And I've got 10 skeins of Sari Silk & 5 of rayon - Oh, didn't I tell you that I bid on two lots & ended up with both of them??? I ended up with similar items but one lot is much darker than the other. I'm tempted to use them both in the project just to get rid of them! And I figure even though I've violated the brand-new resolutions of the New Year, it might be forgiven because it enables the other projects. This project looks like mindless knitting, so it shouldn't take more than a couple of evenings in front of the tube . . . . . . .

1 comment:

spinquilt said...

I am still looking for a LARGE see thru bag but they are hard to find and stay within the price restriction. The smaller ones are only intended for a pair of socks.
Karen