Sunday, January 27, 2008

Here we go again!


The cat has finally realized that there is no door into Summer today. She's had it opened several times & driven me batty until I opened the window by her shelf a couple of times too. She DID go out & lick the snow on the stairs outside her window but she really didn't want to go outside into it. She finally decided it was a good day to sleep. I agree with her! I've been a little under the weather for the past few days & don't want to go out either. It just took her longer to decide .

When the Weather Pundits predicted more of the White Death, I went shopping for more fruits, veggies & cat food - we can last it out!!

The Wednesday Nite Nitters met this week with a variety of projects so we decided to take a picture of the whole mess of them to post on the blog!! In the top left is Laura's alpaca afghan, then Kathy's wild green socks, in the lower right - Gail's monet afghan from her 'Tea Exchange', in the lower left - Gail's finished Icelandic Shawl & then my Opal socks on top of Laura's afghan. Karen's wild socks are in the middle! Aren't we a Crafty group???!!!


I have two pairs of socks on the go right now - the weird colored ones for the BT's mom - she wanted some longer socks for winter now that she's getting around so much better since her knee replacement! She & the Worst Half seem to be on the go constantly so they need Boot Socks now. I'm just about finished hers, I'm in the mindless midfoot where I'm debating about whether to put a contrasting toe on or not. I'll have to reinforce hers, no matter what I do but will I, won't I, will I, won't I????

My Opal socks have their heels turned & are also on the home stretch. I made them a little longer to keep out the winter drafts on my legs as well - Maw had a good idea. There's nothing like that first blast of cold air on your bare legs when you exit a nice warm car . . . .

By the way, I pulled out my last dye mistake this morning & wondered what to do with it - I spun the wool from my Brown Sheep mill ends into lovely fat skeins that hung as ART in my livingroom for ages. I splotch dyed them one day & realized - after the dye was dabbed on - that I'd forgotten the vinegar!! Most of the dye came out when I threw the skeins into the vinegar. I splotched some more dye onto the yarn & cooked it in my microwave for 3 minutes. This is the result. It's a soft, springy singles yarn that knits up about a worsted weight in the sample swatch. I may just knit some mittens - found a pattern in an old KNITTERS magazine for sideways garter stitch mittens. They would work very nicely when sitting outside drinking coffee at Starbucks!!

Ooooooo - just looked outside - it's really coming down!! Looks like there'll be FUN FUN FUN on the roads tomorrow morning!! Good thing I'm cozy in my home office until midmorning.

2 comments:

Louisa said...

Good to see all the projects you've all been working on! And I really like your mistake-dyed yarn. I'm not a big pastel fan but it's very pretty.

Sharon in Surrey said...

The light blueish pink background happened when the dye came out in the vinegar bath - grrrrrr. So I just blobbed on some red & blue that would show & cooked it. It is rather interesting though.