Saturday, June 10, 2006

As Ye Knit, so shall Ye Rip . . . .


The Opal socks were finished last nite without contrasting toes. I decided they were already so colorful that a contrasting toe would ruin the look - I finished them as is . . . . . well, sort of.

Sigh . . . I tried on my Opal socks. Alas, they're just a tad too short in the foot. I mean, I CAN wear them but I like my socks to be a little looser in the toe area just so they don't wear as quickly. I haven't darned or reknit a single toe for myself yet - & I don't intent to start now!!! So, this morning, I spent a couple of hours in front of the Home & Garden channel with many cups of tea, ripping & reknitting those socks. I added just a half inch to the length but it makes a huge difference when I put them on!! The secret to good socks - measure twice, knit once!

I was gifted with a grocery bag full of very dark brown Newfie hair from a friend who adopted a 6 year old fella named BOB who'd been abandoned at the vet. Now, I don't even pretend to understand how people can do that to a member of the family but that's another story!! Bob has a glorious home with a couple who hike for pleasure - that hound goes everywhere with them.

Bob generously donated some lovely soft fur which will be carded into some local fleece to be spun up for DIVING SOCKS. Since dog hair is much warmer than wool but has no 'memory', blending the two should produce a nice yarn that will give the diver warmer feet & a sock that'll hold its shape. I just hope he doesn't shrink them up in the first wash!!! I was going to start knitting alpaca/wool socks this weekend but I think I'll just work on the Newfie/wool carding & spinning instead. Hopefully I'll have pics soon . . . .


NEWS FLASH . . . .

I must be losing my mind because I essentially published the same blog on two different days!! Must be due to the blog site doing maintenance & I lost my post & had to do it again a couple of times . . . . thats my story folks, etcetera, etcetera!

No comments: