Sunday, September 20, 2009

Socks in Distress

I joined the Super Sock Scarefest & cast on the 'Fangs for the Memories' socks - the ones with the 'toothed' tops & the Dracula holes the the ankle - and I hate them. I hate the top which is waaay too big given the stitch count of the pattern. I don't like the holes in the ankle - only two FANG holes but I think they look stupid. So I frogged the whole sock!!

And decided to try the "Damsel in Distress" socks - even though Karen & Gail said they wouldn't work!! I found the revised pattern which tells you to cast-on 80 stitches instead of the 64 in the original. In the previous blog entry, there's a pic of the finished socks. The knitter used 80 stitches for the ribbing & increased to 120 stitches before the lattice pattern. Yeah, I can see that happening. I didn't increase to 120 stitches but I did start with 80 stitches. I did a couple of inches of the pattern VERRRRY loosely - so loosely in fact, that the cable needle kept hitting the floor because I couldn't keep it in the stitches. It's the only way to do the pattern in standard sock weight yarn & still have some stretch left in the sock! I hate this one too. The cabling is too small & too close together. I think if the pattern was rewritten with cables twice the size or with a cable pattern down the FRONT of the sock only, it would be a great sock. The cable needle hit the floor once too often & that sock was kicked into the frog pond too!!!

Not bad for a sock knitter as prolific as I, two new patterns tried & two frogged. I must be a glutton for punishment because I downloaded the "Revenge of the Mummy" sock from last year - I think this one's a winner . . . .

No comments: