Saturday, August 29, 2009

Just Hanging at Home


I spent most of the last week pounding on my computer to finish the tax stuff I promised to file on Friday. It isn't filed yet. But, the government works slowly & I'll just slip a couple of years into the big blue box by Sunday nite & by the time they get to the place they need to be, I'll have the rest in the box!! Friday is the same as Monday to those guys anyway cause no one works on the weekends . . .

I've had time to knit. I haven't finished the toes on the blue socks but I'll probably do that tonite in front of the tube. Notice in the picture how the yarn colors change just after the heel?? There was no knot in the yarn, it just changed color. I'm thinking there's a flaw in the yarn or, the colorway is really long. Who knows?? I just kept on knitting . . .

You know all that laundry I did last weekend?? Well, good thing I did it when I could. My sink's been backed up since the middle
of the week. I have a giant hair/grease clog I guess. I destroyed a plunger trying to plunge the thing. Poured 64 ounces of some toxic gunk down the sink through the standing water - three treatments - to try to unclog it. Hot water goes thru like, well, a hot knife thru butter!! Too much water jams it up again. I can now wash dishes in small batches but the damned thing backs up again so I think I've only managed to move the clog a little further down the line . . . I thought about taking the trap off & getting at it THAT way with my handy dandy pipe wrench, but apparently, I don't have a trap that I can get at. My pipe goes straight down somewhere underground. Oh well, I'll plunge it a time or two & then borrow a snake. If THAT doesn't do the job, I'll have to call the plumber . . .

So, while I've been waiting for the sink to drain, I've been knitting. I was going to try to fix Ginny. You remember Ginny?? The multi-hued
purple sweater I started eons ago that the cat decided to bed down on?? The one with the great long pull in the yoke of the TOP-DOWN sweater?? Well, I tore it all apart yesterday. I rewound the balls & looked for something else to knit since Ginny seems jinxed. The evenings are getting cooler & I'll soon NEED a sweater. In my search, I just couldn't find a simple, top-down, quick knit to use up all that purple yarn in three colors - until I found Kyler's Kardigan. I thought, wouldn't that little garter cardigan be great in adult size??? And then I found the Adult sizes in the back half of the book. I'd never actually read past the kids section! So I cast on immediately & started a simple, garter stitch cardigan in the purple yarn. I have lavender & dark plum as well as the single ball of wild cherry boucle with turquoise & hot pink bits in it for an accent. I thought I'd use all the colors in the yoke section & then just knit the bust down in the dark plum. And maybe it'll just be in the three former colors. I'll decide later. Kyler looks to be a fast knit - I have about three inches of the yoke done in a couple of hours & there's NO SEWING in this sweater!!! I'll probably rib the cuffs but leave the bottom in a plain garter finish. FAST & DIRTY, that's the plan anyway.

2 comments:

Gail from Surrey said...

re the clog.......call your lovely landlord. He needs to be doing more for you than just taking your $$$ every month.

re the new sweater......well, we will see (I know that I am going to regret this comment......I can feel the poke already!!)

Sharon in Surrey said...

Blllllshhhht!!!! The landlord is the LAST person I call when I have a problem - I'd wind up with NO water if HE got in there!!! And you're gonna get a poke!!